Scopus ID: 35756117800
Distinguished Professor in Critical Studies, Chapman University and Professor Emeritus, UCLA, USA
During his doctoral studies in curriculum theory at the Ontario Institute for Studies in Education, University of Toronto, Professor McLaren was elected a Junior Fellow of Massey College. Shortly after receiving his Ph.D. in 1984, he was inducted as a Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts and Commerce (England). Over the past twenty-five years he has held full-time positions at Brock University in Canada, Miami University of Ohio, The University of Auckland, New Zealand, and the University of California, Los Angeles.
After teaching for a year at Brock University in 1984, Professor McLaren was hired by the Graduate School of Education and Allied Professions, Miami University of Ohio, where he became an Associate Professor and the youngest professor to be awarded the title of Renowned Scholar–in-Residence. After working at Miami University in close collaboration with Professor Henry Giroux for eight years, and serving as Associate Director, and then as the Director of the Center for Education and Cultural Studies for two years, he was recruited in 1993 by the Graduate School of Education and Information Studies University of California, Los Angeles.
Professor McLaren is the author and editor of nearly 50 books and hundreds of professional publications on education and social justice. His writings have been translated into over 20 languages.
Four of his books have won the Critic's Choice Award of the American Educational Studies Association. One of his books, Life in Schools, was chosen in 2004 as one of the 12 most significant education books in existence worldwide by an international panel of experts organized by The Moscow School of Social and Economic Sciences and by the Ministry of Education of the Russian Federation.
Instituto McLaren de Pedagogia Critica y Educacion Popular, an organization that offers courses, degrees and training in popular education in Ensenada Mexico has been named in his honor.
Professor McLaren's work has been the subject of two recent books: Teaching Peter McLaren: Paths of Dissent, edited by Marc Pruyn and Luis M. Huerta-Charles (New York: Peter Lang Publications) [translated into Spanish as De La Pedagogia Critica a la pedagogia de la Revolucion: Ensayos Para Comprender a Peter McLaren, Mexico City, Siglo Veintiuno Editores] and Peter McLaren, Education, and the Struggle for Liberation, edited by Mustafa Eryaman (New Jersey: Hampton Press).
In April 2002, Professor McLaren became the inaugural recipient of the Paulo Freire Social Justice Award presented by Chapman University. In 2010 he was presented with the Distinguished Research Award by the American Educational Research Association Paulo Freire Special Interest Group. In 2012, he was inducted as an American Educational Research Association Fellow. Also, in 2012, he received the Ann-Kristine Pearson Award in Education and Economy presented by The University of Toronto's Center for the Study of Education and Work. That same here he received The Social and Economic Justice in Public Education Award presented by the Marxian Analysis of Society, Schools and Education, a special interest group of the American Education Research Association. He was also made Honorary Chair Professor of Northeast Normal University in China, and Honorary Professor of the Faculty of Education, University of Auckland, and was awarded the Lifetime Achievement Award in Peace Studies by the Central New York Peace Studies Consortium, one of the oldest peace studies organizations in the world that has been recognized by the United Nations and University of Peace. Again, in 2013, he was presented with the inaugural Paulo Freire International Social Justice Award by the Paulo Freire Research Center, Finland and was also awarded the Department of Education at Antioch University (Los Angeles) 1st Annual Social Justice and Upstander Ethics in Education award. In addition, he was recently presented with the First International Award for Social Justice and Equity through Education award, by the Instituto Universitario Internacional de Toluca (Mexico). Again, in 2013, he was awarded the Lifetime Achievement Award from Miami University of Ohio in conjunction with the Pedagogy and Theater of the Oppressed Organization, and recently the Ministry of Education from the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela presented Professor McLaren with the International Award in Critical Pedagogy.
In 2013, the directors of the National Conference on Equity and Social Justice in Education awarded Professor McLaren with the First Annual Social Justice, Equity and Global Ethics Award and he recently received the Defense of the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Award from The Higher Council of Community Government, the Council for Civil Affairs and the Education Commission of Cheran, Michoacán, Mexico. The Institute for Research and University Education (IISUE) of the National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM) has given Professor McLaren the Academic Distinction Award marking his 25 -year participation in the program, Education Debates and the Social Imaginary.
Professor McLaren has received honorary doctorates from The University of Lapland (Finland) and the Universidad del Salvador, Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Since 1985, Professor McLaren has helped to contribute to the development of various fields of education, most specifically the areas of critical pedagogy, critical ethnography, critical theory, philosophy and critical multiculturalism.
Publications in SCOPUS and WoS
- Mclaren, P. (2019). The future of critical pedagogy. Educational Philosophy and Theory, 1-6. doi: 10.1080/00131857.2019.1686963 (Scopus)
- Chang, B., & McLaren, P. (2018). Emerging issues of teaching and social justice in Greater China: Neoliberalism and critical pedagogy in Hong Kong. Policy Futures in Education, 16(6), 781-803. doi: 10.1177/1478210318767735 (Scopus)
- McLaren, P. (2018). Revolutionary critical pedagogy: Staking a claim against the macrostructural unconscious. In D. Bhattacharya, The University Unthought: Notes for a Future (pp. 246-268). Taylor & Francis. doi: 10.4324/9780429441974 (Scopus)
- McLaren, P., & Gutierrez, K. (2018). Global politics and local antagonisms: Research and practice as dissent and possibility. In D. Carlson & M.W. Apple, Power/Knowledge/Pedagogy: The Meaning of Democratic Education in Unsettling Times (pp. 305-333). Taylor & Francis. doi: 10.4324/9780429498060 (Scopus)
- Hartlep, N., Hensley, B., Wells, K., Brewer, T., Ball, D., & McLaren, P. (2017). Homophily in higher education: Historicizing the AERA member-to-fellow pipeline using theories of social reproduction and social networks. Policy Futures in Education, 15(6), 670-694. doi: 10.1177/1478210317715815 (Scopus)
His books include:
- Peter McLaren, (2012) La Pedagogia Critica Revolucionaria: El Socialismo y los Desafios Actuales. Buenos Aires: Herramienta Ediciones. Previously published in the journal, Herramienta, an autonomous Marxist journal in Argentina.
- Peter McLaren and Nathalia Jaramillo. (2007). Pedagogy and Praxis in the Age of Empire: Towards a New Humanism. Sense Publishers. Rotterdam and Tapei.
- Pedagogia Critica: Contra o Imperio. Edicones, Pedago, LDA.Mangualde, Portugal, 2007.
- Life in Schools (5th edition, revised and updated Allyn & Bacon, 2006)
- Rage and Hope: Interviews with Peter McLaren on War, Imperialism
and Critical Pedagogy. Peter Lang Publishers, New York. 2006.
- Capitalists and Conquerors: Critical Pedagogy Against Empire. Rowman and Littlefield, 2005.
- Red Seminars: Radical Excursions into Educational Theory, Cultural Politics, and Pedagogy. New York: Hampton Press, 2005.
- (with Ramin Farahmandpur) Teaching Against Global Capitalism and the New Imperialism. A Critical Pedagogy. Rowman and Littlefield, 2005.
- (with Ramin Farahmandpur) Pedagogia Revolucionaria Na Globalizacao. (translated in Portuguese) DPA: Rio de Janeiro (2002).
- A Pedagogia da Utopia. Santa Cruz do Sul: University of Santa Cruz do Sul (Brasil, 2001)
- (with Henry Giroux) Kriittinen Pedagogiikka. Tampere, Finland: Vastapaino. 2001.
- Red Chalk (booklet). With Mike Cole, Dave Hill, and Glenn Rikowski. London: The Tufnell Press, 2000.
- Che Guevara, Paulo Freire, and the Pedagogy of Revolution. Boulder, CO.: Rowman and Littlefield, 2000.
- Che Guevara, Paulo Freire, and the Pedagogy of Revolution. Boulder, CO.: Rowman and Littlefield, expanded edition, forthcoming.
- La Pedagogia del Che Guevara Universidad Pedagogica Nacional, San Luis Potosi, Mexico, 2001.
- Pedagogia, poder e identidad (Spanish). Homo Sapiens: Argentina, 1999.
- Utopias Provisorias: As Pedagogias Criticas num cenario pos-colonial. (Portuguese). Editora Vozes (Brasil, 1999).
- Revolutionary Multiculturalism: Pedagogies of Dissent for the New Millenium. Boulder, CO: Westview Press, 1997.
- Multiculturalismo Critico. (Portuguese). Cortez: Brasil, 1997.
- (with Henry Giroux, Colin Lankshear, and Michael Peters), Counter narratives: Cultural studies and critical pedagogies in postmodern spaces. New York and London: Routledge, 1996.
- Critical pedagogy and predatory culture: Oppositional politics in a postmodern age. London and New York: Routledge, 1995.
- (with Rhonda Hammer, David Sholle, and Susan Reilly) Rethinking Media Literacy. New York: Peter Lang, 1994.
- Pedagogía crítica, resistencia cultural y la producción del deseo. Buenos Aires, Argentina: Institute for Action Research, 1994.
- Schooling as a ritual performance, 3rd edition, New Introduction. Boulder,CO: Rowman and Littlefield, 1999.
- Schooling as a ritual performance, 2nd edition, Revised and Updated, London and New York: Routledge, 1993.
- Schooling as a ritual performance. London & New York: Routledge, 1986.
- Hacia una pedagogía crítica de la formación de la identidad posmoderna. Monograph. Facultad de Ciencias de la Educación Universidad Nacional de Entre Ríos, 1993.
- Pedagogia crítica y postmodernidad. Universidad Pedagogica Veracruzana y Secretaría de Educación, Xalapa City, Mexico, monograph, August, (monograph, in Spanish). 1992.
- (with Henry A. Giroux), Sociedad, cultura y escuela (in Spanish) Madrid and Buenos Aires: Mino y Davila Editors. Originally published by Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, 1988
- Cries from the corridor: The new suburban ghettos. Methuen Publications. (with a foreword by Laurier LaPierre) (Editor’s Choice, Books in Canada). 1980.
Articles in Ukrainee:
- Пітер Макларен, Наталья Харамійо. Ні неомарксистський, ні постмарксистський, ні марксовий, ні автономітський марксизм: рефлексія на революційну (марксистську) критичну педагогіку. Філософія освіти. Philosophy of Education - 2010. - № 1-2(9). – С.31- 56. URL: www.philosopheducation.com
- Пітер Макларен. Революційна критична педагогіка у ХХІ столітті. Відповідь на запитання Ірини Предборської. Філософія освіти. Philosophy of Education. - 2010. - № 1-2(9). – С.56 -67. URL: www.philosopheducation.com
- Peter McLaren, Рetar Jandrić. Critical Revolutionary Pedagogy in and for the Age of the Network. Філософія освіти. Philosophy of Education. – 2014. №1 (14). – С.106-126. URL: www.philosopheducation.com