- Focus and Scope
- Peer Review Process
- Publication Ethics and Publication Malpractice Statement
- Copyright and Open Access Policy
- Payment Policy
FOCUS AND SCOPE
Philosophy of Education (print ISSN 2309-1606, online ISSN 2616-7662) is an academic journal published by Philosophy of Education Society of Ukraine in cooperation with Institute of Higher Education of National Academy of Educational Sciences of Ukraine.
Philosophy of Education is an open access and peer-reviewed journal that focuses on paradigmatic, theoretical, methodological and conceptual issues of philosophy of education.
Philosophy of Education publishes articles representing a wide variety of philosophical and educational issues with paying much attention to problems of education in the context of globalization, the information revolution, and the trajectories of changes in transition societies such as Ukrainian. It orients the contemporary research on different methodological approaches and philosophical positions, which permit to understand the strategies of educational reforming in 21 st century. The first translations (into Ukrainian) of works and original works, addresses to readers, interviews of famous contemporary philosophers, sociologists, and educators such as M. Horkheimer, J. Habermas, W. McBride, P. McLaren, E. Laszlo, P. Sztompka, S. Sztobryn, J. Bishop, P. Sloterdijk, J. Gore, J. de Groof, M. Peters, F. Fukuyama, Jin-Whan Park, M. Burawoy were published. The journal creates a space of philosophical discourse and serves as a forum for the exchange of information and views between scholars and practitioners, NGOs and the community. Philosophy of Education is the centre of the Philosophy of Education Society of Ukraine and aims at developing the contacts with scientific societies from other countries. The editorial board is represented by scholars from Ukraine, Croatia, Moldova, Russia, Poland, Greece, and the USA. Its work also includes organizing the symposiums, methodological seminars, roundtables on topical issues of education, popularizing and implementing the research ideas to educational practice, which is reflected in the problem issues of the journal.
We welcome articles written by professional scholars and practitioners in:
- philosophy of education,
- history of philosophy of education,
- western and non-western traditions in philosophy of education,
- educational strategies and practices,
- university studies,
- philosophy of sex and gender and its educational implications,
- methodological frameworks of contemporary education,
- transdisciplinary discourse in education,
- philosophy of reason and educational perspectives,
- multicultural education,
- philosophy of lifelong education, philosophy of adult education,
- philosophy for children,
- global challenges to education,
- Ukrainian philosophy of education,
- education and religion,
- education and art.
PEER REVIEW PROCESS
- The Editorial board makes a decision on paper publication after the prepublication peer review procedure.
- Correspondence of the papers with the scientific specialization of the journal shall be determined by the Editor in Chief who appoints for each article two reviewers among leading Ukrainian or foreign specialists.
- In our journal practiced double-blind review: reviewers are unaware of the identity of the authors, and authors are also unaware of the identity of reviewers.
- Within two days the Editor in chief assistants informs the author of the paper acceptance for consideration. Editor in chief personally sends the article to reviewers and gets them to text reviews.
- Duration of review – up to two months.
- A review examines the following:
- originality and scientific novelty of article;
- correct citation;
- correspondence between the paper content and the title;
- consideration of the latest publications in the area of philosophical study, covered by the paper.
- A review includes final decision on whether the paper is accepted for publication, needs follow-up revision or rejected.
- Reviewers also describe the shortcomings in the paper which, being not subject to scientific discussion, may be corrected by the authors.
- Editor in chief makes a list of reviewers’ remarks and sends it to the author.
- Editor in chief has the right to add the own comments to the expert remarks.
- The revised paper shall be submitted for consideration by the previous experts. Reconsideration of the paper lasts up to two months.
- Editor in Chief never disclose the names of reviewers.
- If all reviewers' conclusions are positive/negative, it is usually the main reason for making the article for publication/rejection. But the Editorial board, in some cases, have the right to disagree with the decision of the reviewers, if will be good reason for this.
- If the evaluation of the reviewers on some articles diverging, the Editorial board takes a special decision: accepted/reject those articles or assign new reviewers.
- If an article is rejected, the Editor in chief assistants informs the author via e-mail of the reasons for the refusal.
- Rejected articles may not be considered again. The Editorial board not discussing with authors about the reasons of articles’ rejection.
PUBLICATION ETHICS AND PUBLICATION MALPRACTICE STATEMENT
Relationships between authors, editors, and reviewers in our journal are based on academic benevolence, objectivity of ratings and priority of scientific quality. We are following the principles of Code of Conduct for Editors as defined by the Committee of Publication Ethics (COPE), in particular
Manuscripts shall be evaluated for their scientific quality, regardless of author’s race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, religion, nationality or political opinions.
ELIMINATION OF THE PLAGIARISM, LIBEL AND COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT
Our journal rejects any material that breaks legal requirements regarding plagiarism, libel and copyright infringement.
The editor-in-chief shall be guided by the policies of the journal's editorial board and consults with other editors or reviewers about the decision to publish.
- have full authority to reject/accept the article, guided by objective scientific criteria and findings reviewers;
- ensure the quality of the material they publish;
- must disclose any conflicts of interest;
- keep information pertaining to submitted manuscripts confidential;
- champion freedom of scientific expression;
If editors suspect the authenticity, originality or ethical correctness of an article, publication of the last is delayed until any doubt is clarified. Unpublished materials from submitted manuscript must not be used in an Editor’s own research without the express written consent of the author.
- Authors must
- ensure that they have written truly original works;
- have significant contribution to the research (if a paper has several authors);
- guarantee obtained permission for use of copyrighted materials;
- certify that the manuscript has not previously been published elsewhere and is not currently being considered for publication elsewhere;
- identify all sources used in the creation of their manuscript;
- disclose in their manuscript any substantive conflict of interest that might be construed to influence the assessment of their manuscript;
Information obtained by authors privately, as in conversation, correspondence, or discussion with third parties, must not be used or reported without explicit, written, permission from the source. By submitting an article to the editorial board, the authors agree that (in the case of publication in the paper version Fìlosofìâ osvìti. Philosophy of Education) their text will be automatically published in the online version of the journal (under open access).
- Reviewer must:
- notify Editorial staff of any conflicts of interest that may determine their findings;
- keep information pertaining to the manuscript confidential;
- be objective and constructive in their reviews.
Unpublished materials from submitted manuscript must not be used in reviewers' own research without the express written consent of the author.
COPYRIGHT AND OPEN ACCESS POLICY
Philosophy of Education is an open access journal which means that all content is freely available without charge to the user or his/her institution. Users are allowed to read, download, copy, distribute, print, search, or link to the full texts of the articles in this journal without asking prior permission from the publisher or the author. This is in accordance with the BOAI definition of open access. Authors submitting articles for publication warrant that the work is not an infringement of any existing copyright and will indemnify the publisher against any breach of such warranty. For ease of dissemination and to ensure proper policing of use, papers and contributions become the legal copyright of the publisher unless otherwise agreed.
The following license will apply to the articles: Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY) license. Please ensure that the rights holder of any third party copyright materials included in your paper has either granted you permission to publish their material under the appropriate license terms, or has granted you permission to use their material with the appropriate copyright notice.
The journal provides publishing of articles for free as well as access to issues of the journal.